- What is & Why FindBugs?
- Bug categories
- How to get started?
- Integration with other tools
What is & Why FindBugs?
What is FindBugs?
- FindBugs looks for bugs in Java programs
- It uses static analysis to inspect Java bytecode for occurrences of bug patterns - executing the program is not necessary, source code is not even needed
- It is not a style checker
- It is based on the concept of bug patterns. Bug patterns arise for a variety of reasons:
- Difficult language features
- Misunderstood API methods
- Misunderstood invariants when code is modified during maintenance
- Garden variety mistakes: typos, use of the wrong boolean operator
Download course content