Rails Environment & Configuration
- Gem and RubyGem
- Gemfile and Gemfile.lock
Gem & RubyGem (per system)
What is Gem and RubyGem?
- Gem is a standard package format for Ruby libraries
- In the same way “jar” and “war” are standard package formats for Java libraries
- In Ruby/Rails world, a feature is built as a gem and there are tons of 3rd-party gems you can use right away
- Security, testing, performance, ...
- You can create your own custom gems or extend existing gems
- RubyGem is package manager for the Ruby programming language
- Manage the installation/uninstallation of gems (per your system)
- RubyGem comes with Ruby 1.9+
- You interact with RubyGem with “gem” command
You must have an active subscription to download PDF,Lab Zip and Recordings of this course topic.Please click the "Subscribe" button or the "Login" button if you already have an account.